Thursday, April 10, 2014

2014年4月10日

April 10th:

Today was the first day in the lab. I am extremely tired. On a positive note, everything went well. I am growing familiar with the lab equipment, as well as the materials I am working with. First, I learned how to polish metal samples by slowly working up to 4,000 grit sandpaper. That way, when you look at the sample under an optical microscope, you can't see any scratches on the sample anymore. Then my Senpai demonstrated a Magnesium extrusion. An extrusion is basically running a metal block through a pasta maker. Of course you have to heat the metal in a furnace before so it becomes more malleable. It comes out as a long, thin, spaghetti-like shape. Here is a pic from the demonstration:
That machine on left can apply a 2000 kN (200 metric ton) force. Be careful!
On the down side, I basically need to come up with a personal research project by tomorrow morning, which seems daunting considering how little I know about the metal alloys. So many possibilities, and so much I have yet to learn. Hopefully, Professor Kondoh will be able to give me some advice tomorrow morning when I meet with him.
One last thing. I got a super cool opportunity today! I got to use a scanning electron microscope. What does this mean? I got look at a sample of copper powder mixed with carbon nanotubes at 50,000 x magnification. I saw individual carbon nanotubes coating the copper powder pieces. The microscope itself ran on 10,000 volts of electricity and required a tank of liquid nitrogen to keep the machine at reasonable operating temperatures. It was INSANE!!
Here is my Senpai showing us how to use it.

Here's what it looks like when powdered copper oxidizes (rusty copper)
Today was a glimpse at the tiny world that exists in front of our very own eyes. Seeing the massive grains of copper powder with vast amounts of space separating them was surreal... This must be what extraterrestrial travel feels like, traveling between planets, each grain offering a brand new landscape. I got to control a joystick (which moved the electron beam probe), the focus and magnification. It was very video game like. I can't wait to create and analyze my own samples.
Absolutely sensational and awe-inspiring.
If you are curious about the potential of SEM, check out these awesome extreme close ups.
Cool SEM images

No comments:

Post a Comment