Thursday, September 4, 2014

2014年7月8日

June 8th:

In the morning, I woke up briefly to say goodbye to Maika before she left for work. I slept in, packed my bags, and made my way to the train station. Maika had left me some money to buy a lunch and pay for the bus ride.
Won't forget this room.

Last meal. I must admit, the vegetables on the left were pretty strange tasting. 
Here are some transit pictures from the way back to Osaka.

Bus interior

Rainy, rainy day.


Almost at the airport.
Beautiful sunset for the takeoff. 

Flight was entertaining. Met two Japanese girls who I kept me company. 
It was nice to be around people who speak the same language as you again. Being Taiwan made me realize how difficult it is to live in a country where you don't speak the language. And even though I can't speak Japanese fluently, the amount I do know makes life in Japan so much more comfortable. 

Ok! On the adventurous part of my night. So, to start with the airport I was flying into is about 2 hours away from my dorm. My flight was late, and trains in Japan stop running at midnight. I managed to catch the first line to take me to downtown Osaka. The train only left at 11:30. On this train I realized, I will miss the last train from the station I had to transfer at to my home station. And that is a FAR distance. I spoke to the train conductor, and she gave me instructions on how I could get as far north as possible while trains are still running. So as instructed, I got off at Tengachaya, and took the Sakai line to Tenjinbashi Rokuchoume. When I arrived, I realized I still about 12 km from home. The taxi would have cost me 50 bucks, something I didn't want to pay, considering the service.. Instead, I started walking. With my heavy-ass backpack. All I had was a compass on my phone since Google maps wouldn't load the map.  I walked north until I ran into the Kitasenri line, then continued following it. Here are some pictures/a video of me being frustrated:

Over the 淀川 Yodogawa Bridge.

Not everyday you get to stop in the middle of the tracks to take shots.


Really cool how at nighttime, they set up these construction projects on the railways because its the only time they can do it.

Also, these red lights indicate the path that takes you along the railway. Something you don't see during the day.
 Me expressing my frustrations.

This bridge is where things got interesting.
I was taking this picture when this really drunken Japanese guy came riding by. He asked me, "did you catch it?". I had not idea what he meant, so I responded in Japanese, "Yes, I got the picture". He seemed confused. He then clarified he was talking about a fish. I guess he thought I had been fishing. I said no, and he laughed at himself saying he didn't either. Anyhow, he was pretty impressed with my Japanese so he kept talking. I found out he was going to Kandaimae, a station on the way to my place, so we just stuck together and talked on the whole walk. He even offered me cigarettes, which I took for the sake of sharing an experience with the guy. We spoke about some interesting stuff. How Japanese and Westerners see each other, stereotypes that come with it, and about our home cities. He took a liking to me, bought me some onigiri and an energy drink at the next convenient store, gave me all his cigarettes and lighter despite me telling him numerous times I don't smoke, and lastly insisted on getting me a cab. He kept asking if I have friends that can pick me up. I told him they're all asleep and only have bikes anyways. When we got to Kandaimae, I told him I can walk but he called over a taxi, gave him 2,000 yen, and told him to take me to my home. I thanked him for everything and told him I want to repay him. He said, if you ever find me here, take me to izakaya for a drink and that was it. Got this picture with the guy at 3:30 in the morning, and got in the taxi.
Sweaty, tired, and he was really drunk. lol!
But yeah, that concludes my night.



No comments:

Post a Comment