Thursday, May 29, 2014

2014年5月12日ー18日

May 12th-15th:

Each day in the lab is a great learning experience. Throughout this week, I was able to eliminate temperature difference as a direct cause of the differences in hardness levels of my sintered vs. extruded samples. With this in mind, I shifted my focus back the original samples I had worked with. I ran Vicker's hardness tests for the third time, this time using a 200 gram as my weight rather than the 10 and 50 grams I had been working previously. The resulting data showed a higher level of consistency in hardness, but maintained the same trends. Next, I triple checked the grain size of the metal samples and came out with completely different results that made more sense. I am learning that scientific lab work is not always as black and white as one might expect. Rather, there is a level of craftsmanship and skill involved, as well as a constant awareness of the possible outcomes of your actions. If I douse this sample in water now, how will it affect the oxygen or hydrogen test results? How do I extract this metal sample from the carbon epoxy mold it is embedded in without affecting the carbon content test results? Always think about what you are doing.. Perform each step of the experiment with utmost care and most importantly, take your time because if you even slightly botch one step, it will most certainly affect the later steps. I learned to be more meticulous in my work with each progressive test I ran. Don't settle on sketching poor quality micrographs, apply etching reagent in short intervals to avoid excessive, polish in short intervals so you don't erase the grain boundaries from sight, constantly check your work under the microscope, handle samples with care, avoid contamination, etc. After over a month of doing this, it's nice to see the progress. Also, it's nice to daydream about the airplanes that will someday hold these materials.
Also, the lilypad flowers began to bloom. Here's a nice picture from one of the mornings:
The bamboos have such a stark contrast from their surrounding trees. This is on my campus.


May 16th:

I had spent many of the week's nights staying late at the lab (as late as 9), but Friday I decided to leave early because there was a welcome party at Osaka University's Toyonaka Party hosted by the international student group. I must have been in a photographic mood, cause I took a couple (not particularly amazing, but noteworthy) pictures:

The station I parked my bike at. Looks like an American mall. It's called 千里中央 Senrichuo. 

Crowded monorail commute to the other campus. 

I arrived late at the party, but fortunately there was an after-party being held on the campus. I spent the evening mingling with random people, mostly Japanese or Japanese speakers. Here's an interesting character I met:

Pretty classic Japan. He was a nice guy. From Taiwan actually.. 

Late night bike ride.. I took this because it reminded me of LA. But looking back on it, it is not match to the monster freeways of LA..
 There was an after-after party at the dorm. It consisted mainly of political conversations though. Which were held until 4 in the morning...
Third time falling asleep to the Osaka sunrise.

May 17th:

We took it easy on Saturday. During the day, I got some time to play some ball, and at night we celebrated my friends James (Ireland) and Kevin's (US) birthdays with a big takoyaki party. We didn't just make regular takoyaki though. We made novelty takoyaki, where we substituted the octopus with random things like chocolate covered macadamia nuts, gummy bears, and sausage.
That's my bud James wagging is finger in the air. You can see the takoyaki machine in the middle of the table.

Takoyaki: a pancake-like batter with octopus inside, garnished with a sweet soy-based takoyaki sauce, mayonaise, seaweed and fish flakes. Tastes wonderful. 
May 18th:

On Sunday, I sat down and recorded my own rendition of the standard "All of Me". It took a good reception on Facebook, so hopefully you all will like it as well.


Everything was arranged by me, most notably the solo (I am proud of it). C:

No comments:

Post a Comment